Saturday, June 4, 2011

What do you want to be?

When the boys are resistant to doing something, we will ask them... 'do you want to do it or do you want me to do it?' This is usually enough to get our little control freaks to jump up and 'do it myself.'

A couple months ago, the question of 'do you want to walk to bed on your own or do you want me to carry you' resulted in an answer of 'carry me.' So, I began carrying to bed. I thought this would be short lived. I actually enjoyed it because I am starting to realize the days of actually carrying the boys are quickly coming to an end. They usually want to walk everywhere and they are also getting heavy.

This carrying started as simple carrying and then morphed into 'carry me like an angry bird.' I wish I could remember who asked for it first but I don't. This caught on quickly and I was carrying everyone like angry birds to bed. This involved, simulating a pulling motion and then launching them towards their bedroom and landing in their beds. If you do not know what I am referring to when I mention 'Angry Birds,' click here. The boys love this game on their iPod.

The bed time 'Angry Bird' action continued for a while and then we introduced some variety. This has evolved into us all having creativity with the way in which we get the boys to bed. When it is bed time, the boys get to the end of the hallway and we ask 'What do you want to be?" The responses to this question are sometimes easy to comply with but others require Mommy and Daddy to stay on their creative toes.

Here are a few fun responses the boys have provided:

Angry Birds - Yellow, Red, Blue and White. All have their own style!

Fighter Jet

Wiggly Fighter Jet

Big TV

Outer Space

Rocket Ship

Diamond

Vacuum Cleaner

BIG BIG Beach Ball

Little Bouncy Ball

Daddy tried to influence Andrew's choice tonight so when I returned from putting a Rocket Ship to bed, Andrew responded to the question by saying, "Chef Salad!" What?!? He quickly changed his answer back to what he wanted which was Rocket Ship. This involves a group countdown to the rocket launch, arms pointed above head like a nose cone, wiggling of booty at 6 seconds to represent main engine start and then a rapid launch upon 3-2-1- LIFT OFF!

We never know what to expect these days when we ask our favorite question of the day, "What do you want to be?" The boys are so creative and I love it! It's a fun way to get them to their bedroom each night.

I will be sure to update this post if some additional creative bedtime approaches are identified by the boys.

Take care,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for caring enough to leave us a message! We enjoy hearing from you!