Friday, December 25, 2009

Christmas Day 2009

Christmas dinner this year was celebrated at my Grandmother's home in Balm, Florida. If you don't know where Balm is located, don't worry, it is a very (I really mean VERY) small town about 45 minutes outside of Tampa. Balm is where my Grandparents lived for many, many years. It is an agricultural community and my Grandfather, Big Daddy, was a land owner and ran a company that provided caretaking for Orange groves, among many other things. I lived in Balm until I was about five years old and then we moved to the "big city" of Brandon. On this day, we took the boys to have their first Balm experience.

We were a big crowd at the house on this day. In total we were 24 people. Before the day was over, we tried to take a group picture. (L-R) Mary, Robert, Ormend, Susan, Rebecca, Grandma Sally, Elizabeth, Anne, Aunt Joan, Aunt Dell, Ryan, Pooka, Zack, Richard, Larry, Kim, Jeanne, Wes, Lance, Andrew, Mike, Kellie (me) and Jared. The only face missing from this group was the youngest of our crew, baby Laura. She was in this picture but she can not be seen. I would like to draw your attention to the Darnell boys in this photo. I love how they are each doing something different but very consistent with their personalities. Wes (in Uncle Lance's arms) is pointing at the camera as if he is directing the group to all look at the camera. Andrew is in Daddy's arms and is very excited, acting silly and giggling! Then we have Jared in my arms. He is looking at the football and could care less about the camera and this photo. Ah, my boys!!

Before this picture was taken, we had a very good time visiting with family and the boys had a blast playing with their cousins. In typical Wes fashion, he quickly jumped up in the Lazy Boy and grabbed the phone to call his peeps, I am sure...
In typical Andrew fashion, he saw Wes in the chair playing with the phone and he quickly jumped up there to grab the phone and do the same thing! This look on Wes' face is priceless! He looks like a teenager completely annoyed by his younger brother. Hey Wes, you guys are actually the same age and if you want to get technical, Andrew is the oldest and you are the baby of babies!!
Since there were already two boys sitting in the chair, I thought I may be able to turn this into a group photo of the boys. Uncle Lance was standing next to me and as I got the camera ready, I asked him to get Jared and sit him next to his brothers. This is what I got...
Uncle Lance, what did you do just throw Jared at the chair?!?

After this picture, the big kids were getting ready to head outside to play. There was talk of throwing the football around. Did someone say football?!? This was not going to be just for the big kids, the Darnell boys were coming to! Before we headed out the door, Grandma spends some time with the boys showing them some football moves. Here is Grandma hiking the ball to Wesley...
Once Wes had the ball, it was his turn to hike the ball to Grandma...
(Grandma - I thought long and hard about whether I should post the first picture. I could not resist! It was a great memory of the two of you playing football so I could not pass up including this! It really is a great picture of you!)

"What, we are going outside? Hold on, let me finish this call and I will be right there!"
I think the best way to summarize our outside experience is to quote Forrest Gump... "I WAS RUNNING"....
The boys acted like they had never been outside before! I think they were just tired to being so reserved in front of family and they were finally able to let loose and let loose they did! Here is Grandma turning around Andrew and Wes as they hit the West side of the lawn...
We used a Zone defense approach to contain the boys but sometimes one was able to sneak through our last lines of defense. Uncle Lance and Mr. Ormend chase down our first escape, Jared. He had almost hit the street when Pooka and her 90 year old eagle eyes pointed out to us, "the baby is almost in the road." Yep, thanks Pooka! We tightened up our assignments after this escape...
It was awesome to stand back and watch nine of Pooka's great grandchildren run around the yard. I remember running and playing in this yard as a child. Now I sit back and watch my three boys running and having a blast. In this picture you can see seven of the great grands, including all three Darnell boys... Please note that in many of the pictures so of the children are standing still.... not the Darnells! Again, "We were running!"...
The only thing that would slow us down was the occasional dip in the ground that would jump up and grab us! We might be down for a second but the boys would get right back up and resume the running. Can you say grass stains???
"Ooohhh look, power cords!!! "
"Hi Laura, bye Laura, can't stop, we are running"...
Oh no! Escape attempt #2 squashed by our safety Uncle Lance. Andrew is placed back in the game...
Jared had the ball and was running for the end zone...
Andrew was squealing and giggling the entire time!
Another shot of the scene on the front lawn. I vividly remember walking up and down that log laying in the yard as a child. I walked up to Pooka at one point with all the kids running and said, "this is all your fault!"
Grandma picks up Wes and tries to give them both a break from running for a second...
"Hey Jared, go long"... (more evidence that I may have a lefty)
"No Andrew, you go long"... (I guess Jared may be ambidextrous.)
The boys still on the move...
Jared takes a breather! He has been playing hard and his untucked shirt is the evidence. Next year, we will bring some play clothes...
After the adults were completely exhausted, we all headed back inside. This is baby Laura, the youngest of the great grandchildren. She if four months younger than the boys. She is as cute as a button...
Wes leaves his brothers to follow his big cousin Robert to watch him play a video game...
Wes and Grandma must have had a special connection on Christmas! As I was going through the pictures, I had a bunch of Grandma and Wes. Here they are relaxing after our fun play time outside...

After all this fun, we were getting ready to leave. Prior to heading out, I wanted to fill the boys sippy cups with milk. I knew they must be thirsty after all of that running. I was standing at the fridge and Jared walked up next to me. Before I could react, he reached up and grabbed a glass of red wine that was sitting on the kitchen counter. He did not break the glass but let's just say, he was blessed on this Christmas day!

It was time to call it a day. We were exhausted and Jared smelled like a wine-o. As we loaded the boys in the car, we joked about getting pulled over on the way home. Daddy and I did not drink but one of our 20 months olds smelled like he was three sheets to the wind! I was so tired and could not believe that on the 20 minute drive home, after running all afternoon, Andrew did not slow down. He chattered, talked and sang the entire way home! How do we bottle this energy?!?

We made it home, gave the boys a bath, put their clothes in the wash, gave them something to eat and put them to bed! It was about 8pm but the adults were completely exhausted.

We had a very Merry Christmas this year! Tomorrow Daddy is picking up Veronica and we are heading back to Tallahassee. I wonder if Santa stopped at that house as well?

Take care,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for caring enough to leave us a message! We enjoy hearing from you!