Thursday, February 26, 2009

Day 4 - Are we there yet, are we there yet?

We are back on the road for the final leg of our trip to Junction!! We stayed the day at Ms. Heather's to hang out. After the boys had their baths, we hit the road around 3:30pm. We drove with the boys for a couple hours while they napped. After the boys' nap, we decided to stop for dinner. Daddy was willing to brave an actual sit-down restaurant. During our initial adventure to a sit-down restaurant, he was not interested in going and had said that he did not want to do it until they could ask to go out to eat. Well, the boys have proven to be little Angels in public so we decided to stop at Denny's!!

Daddy ran in to verify they had three high chairs and we were in business. We unloaded the boys and headed inside to eat. The boys were wonderful and quite the charmers! They drew attention (as always) but continued to surprise the spectators by remaining well behaved.

We fed the boys their dinner which was heated by the very nice Manager on duty. After this meal, the boys also had mashed potatoes and cucumbers from Mommy's salad. They enjoyed both but were most entertained by waving the dessert menus. I think they were trying to tell us to order something for the off of this menu but alas... not yet!

After refreshing everyone's diaper, via the diaper changing station in the bathroom (which proved to be allusive), we were ready to get back on the road for the last two hours of our trip! We are almost there Grandma!

On the way out of the restaurant, it was getting dark, it was windy and we felt like we had become characters in Alfred Hitchcock's "The Birds" movie. There were hundreds of birds flying in packs from one tree top to another and then to a power line over the street in front of us. I am not kidding when I say it felt like they were attacking!! We hurriedly got the boys into their car seats and jumped into the truck. The truck was covered in bird poo but we managed to get everyone inside and strapped in without getting a struck. I took a couple pictures but it was getting dark and it is hard to see the volume of birds. Here is a picture of the tree covered with birds. All of the dark spots on the tree are birds....

We were finally back on the road and we hoped the boys would sleep the rest of the way to Grandma's house. Well, after spending over 15 hours in the car seats over the past few days, Jared decided he had HAD ENOUGH and he wanted OUT!! Shortly after leaving Denny's and getting back on the road, Jared started to get fussy. He was not really crying but was clearly uncomfortable and frustrated. He gave him a bottle and he was quiet but then fussy once done. We tried other means to soothe him but he just wanted out. At one point, we pulled off the road to check and make sure his straps were not hurting him. He was fussy and as soon as I opened the door, he started smiling and laughing! He just wanted out! We decided to just push on and get to our final destination. We joked that this was his version of "are we there yet, are we there yet?"

Grandma Peggy called us a few times to check on where we were at and she probably felt we were torturing poor Jared with the sounds he was making. With over 18 hours in the car seats over a few days, having only one of them fuss for a couple hours was considered a victory.

We finally arrived in Junction and were welcomed with open arms by Grandma Peggy & Grandpa Dooker. The boys were happy to finally make it to our final destination. They played for a couple hours and finally turned in for the night. We had a big day ahead of us so we all needed to get some rest.

Take care,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for caring enough to leave us a message! We enjoy hearing from you!